Wintertime in Colorado is truly magical! Snow-covered pine trees, cozy cabin snuggles, and endless winter activities are just a few reasons why you should consider a Colorado winter elopement!
Becca and Dan met me at one of my all-time favorite winter elopement spots in Colorado! This trail is easily accessible year-round, a moderate hike, and absolutely gorgeous. We strapped our snowshoes to our pack and headed out on the trail. I love this trail because it is a steady incline with 360-degree views of the Rocky Mountains.
We were able to do this trail in just our YakTrax but had our snowshoes just in case! I am so glad we did because when we got to the top the snow was thigh high! Becca and Dan threw on their snowshoes and hiked a little further until they found the perfect spot to get married. With these gorgeous snow-covered Colorado 13ers as their backdrop and perfect bluebird skies, they exchanged the sweetest vows!
After their sweet exchange of vows, they celebrated by popping champagne! I love when couples celebrate with a good pop! Pro tip: bring two bottles of champagne (one for popping, one for drinking) or bring a bottle of sparkling water to spray for a more eco-friendly approach!
When we got back to our cars, Dan serenaded Becca with an acoustic guitar in the back of their Subaru. It was a perfect ending to an absolutely perfect Colorado winter elopement! This was the perfect amount of time for their mini elopement! Four hours allowed us enough time to hike to our destination, exchange vows, pop a little celebratory champagne, take some rad pictures, and head back down the mountain. Becca and Dan’s snowshoeing elopement was so magical!
Should you Elope in the Wintertime?
If you are considering eloping in the winter, there are a few things to consider. Colorado is like a winter wonderland from December to March (sometimes April!) and is so beautiful! You and your partner may choose a Colorado winter elopement if you:
- Love the winter! I know you’re probably like, well duh! But winter in Colorado is not for the faint of heart! It can be cold, snowy, and a little unpredictable.
- Have a connection to the wintertime and spend a lot of your time doing winter activities together.
- Be flexible and go with the flow, knowing that your date or location could possibly change due to inclement weather.
- Love that cozy, moody, winter aesthetic and aren’t afraid of a Colorado adventure!
The Ultimate Colorado Winter Elopement Checklist
You and your partner decided to elope in the winter! HECK YES!!!! You seriously won’t regret it! Eloping in the wintertime adds additional items to your checklist. I’ve taken the guesswork out for you and created this ultimate winter elopement checklist! I believe that it’s always best to be overprepared, so here are the items that you should bring to prepare you for your Colorado winter elopement!
- YakTrax. These are SUPER helpful for navigating snow and ice where snowshoes aren’t necessary. I love these!
- Snowshoes. You can usually rent these and I love to have them on hand just in case!
- Fleece-lined or wool leggings. Brides and grooms can both wear these leggings under their wedding attire. Layering is so important in order to keep you warm and dry!
- Extra wool socks
- Warm winter boots
- Winter coat
- Base layer (wool base layers are best!)
- Fleece layer
- Hat or earmuffs
- Hot hands (little heating pads that get warm when they touch air! Lifesavers!!)
- Lots and lots and lots of water! If you are planning a hike in the winter, I would avoid using a hydration bladder as the hoses freeze (unless you have an insulated hose). Water bottles are best!
- Extra layers
- It’s super important to be aware of your surroundings while adventuring in the winter. Always check for avalanche danger and be smart! You can check avalanche updates here!
Wintertime in Colorado is truly magical! It is one of my favorite times of the year and choosing to elope in the winter, especially in Colorado, will be amazing! Becca and Dan had the coziest Colorado winter elopement and I am so honored to have captured such special moments for them! If you are itching for a Colorado elopement, let’s get in touch and start planning your incredible wedding experience!
-Bailee & Jake